Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Six Word Memoir

I've been tagged by Cati Porter to take the challenge of writing a six-word memoir. (This, by the way, is my first tag. I feel like I've made it now into the blogdom.)

The following instructions come from bookbabie,:

What would you say if you had to summarize your life in only six words? Bookbabie got the idea from a book written by Larry Smith and Rachel Fershleiser, Not Quite What I was Expecting: Six Word Memoirs by Famous and Obscure. It is a compilation based on the story that Hemingway once bet ten dollars that he could sum up his life in six words. His words were—For Sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Here are the rules:
1. Write your own six word memoir
2. Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you’d like
3. Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to this original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4. Tag five more blogs with links
5. And don’t forget to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!

I struggled all night, but was determined to meet the challenge to be that terse. Here is the result of my effort:

Like(s) opals—fire-filled, fragile, embracing strangeness.


I'm tagging David, Kelli, Anne, Bernadette, and Greg.


12 comments:

  1. Ooh, love it, very "writerly" and a little mysterious, thanks for playing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for getting it started. It was fun. I guess my link to you must have notified you about my memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for tagging me, Diane. I've blogged my memoir at
    http://bernadettegeyer.blogspot.com/2008/02/tagged-my-6-word-memoir.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane! This is gorgeous -- writerly indeed.

    Thanks for playing along.

    Cheers,
    Cati

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got your tag. I have a longer than usual commute tomorrow during which to contemplate this. Thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did a six word memoir in our 2006 holiday letter. I'll have to see if I posted it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found it. Here's the link:

    http://theothermother.typepad.com/blog/2006/12/holiday_newslet.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin--your link wouldn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will try it again:

    http://theothermother.typepad.com/blog/2006/12/holiday_newslet.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry. That isn't working either. I think the url is too long for the comment form. Try this. Go to:

    http://theothermother.typepad.com

    In the google search box type "pop quiz." I know that sounds crazy, but it just might work.

    ReplyDelete

Let Me Know What You Think

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...